Sports

Leinster boss Leo Cullen: It’s a frustrated dressing room

Leinster boss Leo Cullen admitted that his dressing room was full of frustrated players despite their Champions Cup win over Clermont.

The URC league leaders have won all nine of their games this season, including back-to-back victories in Europe, but they were far from perfect in the 15-7 win over the Top14 outfit.

Garry Ringrose and Jordie Barrett scored tries in the opening half, while out-half Sam Prendergast, named man of the match, kicked five points as they backed up last weekend’s win at Bristol.

Cullen told RTÉ Sport: “A win, isn’t it? When you see these two fixtures at the start, and where they’re positioned, after the four Test matches, if someone said you were going to get nine points from the two games, you’d probably be quite happy.

“But when you score two tries in the first half of the second game having got five points last week, it sort of feels like there are things there that we can be better at.

“The dressing room is frustrated at how we performed today because we want to put on a better show in front of our home fans but at the same time, you’ve got to win against a team that is used to these sort of arm wrestles in the Top 14, where they’re currently sitting third.

“They’ve ton of experience. It’s good to get a win.

“The conditions deteriorated in the second half and it became quite difficult to play but at the same time, there’s lots of things that we can be better at, so it’s pretty mixed, I’d have to say.”

Leinster lost 40% of their lineouts, an issue that mirrored some of Ireland’s problems over the November window.

“Listen, it hasn’t been a major issue for us,” added Cullen.

“But yeah, it was poor today. You have a bad day, we’ll go back, work hard next week and whether you win or lose, you go through the process again and there’s plenty of good experience in there so they will figure it out, I’m sure.

“Because of the way they are coached, you go through the history of Christophe Urios teams, they will kick the ball off and pressurise lineout, which was what we expected.

“We didn’t see some of the pictures and then we got rattled, couple of throws go awry and combination of lots of different things and then suddenly you are losing seven lineouts or whatever it was.

“That sort of creeps into the rest of our game.”

While Prendergast, who made his international debut last month, cut a frustrated figure as he made his way off following three errors, Cullen was impressed with the 21-year-old’s outing on his 22nd Leinster appearance.

“I thought there were some really good touches, particularly in the first half, a lovely bit of play for Garry’s first try as an example,” said the head coach, whose side face Connacht next weekend in the URC.

“And again, you have a young 21-year-old 10 so he’s picking up experience there all the time. It’s fantastic.

“Sam is making great progress. Think to where he was this time last year, so many facets of his game that have kicked on to another level, and hopefully we’ll continue to see that progress now.”

Related Posts

Cómo afectó el retiro al espíritu competitivo de Rafael Nadal

In the latest interview, Rafael Nadal says that his successful career and winning 92 titles haven’t changed him as a person and that he gave everything he had….

“Only losers complain.” Bryce Harper’s true statement regarding the Dodgers and Shohei Ohtani

PHILADELPHIA − Bryce Harper wasn’t holding the Dodgers or their superstar player Shohei Ohtani in awe heading into the Phillies’ three-game series with the defending World Series champions Friday…

“No volvería a jugar”: la memoria más complicada de Rafael Nadal en la pista de tenis

El extenista recordó uno de los momentos más duros de su carrera. Rafael Nadal dejó una gran marca en el tenis español y en el deporte mundial. El oriundo…

Following an incredible Dodgers walk-off home run, Shohei Ohtani dons a T-shirt of himself

Given Ohtani is by far the biggest superstar in the MLB, it’s fitting the Dodgers DH wore a shirt of himself traveling for a huge series against the…

After Shohei Ohtani’s walk-off, the Dodgers’ unbeaten start leaves MLB superstars in the dust

When Shohei Ohtani stepped up to the plate on his bobblehead night at Dodger Stadium with a tie game in the bottom of the ninth, it wasn’t a…

มาแล้ว “ซิลวา เม็กเซส” เปิดใจหลังทีมชาติไทย U17 แพ้อุซเบกิสถาน ชิงแชมป์เอเชีย นัดแรก

มาแล้ว “ซิลวา เม็กเซส” ดาวรุ่งแมนยูฯ เปิดใจหลังทีมชาติไทย U17 แพ้อุซเบกิสถาน ชิงแชมป์เอเชีย นัดแรก วันที่ 4 เมษายน 2568 ซิลวา เม็กเซส กองหน้าลูกครึ่งไทย-อังกฤษ วัย 15 ปี จากแมนเชสเตอร์ ยูไนเต็ด สโมสรดังในพรีเมียร์ลีก อังกฤษ เปิดใจผ่านโซเชียลมีเดียส่วนตัว หลังจบนัดแรกในศึกฟุตบอลชิงแชมป์เอเชีย รุ่นอายุไม่เกิน 17 ปี…

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *